Home grown baked eggs…is there a better breakfast food? So creamy, so full of flavour and so easy. Great one if you are hosting a breakfast or brunch and are looking for something other than the usual bacon and eggs.
- Chives – finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Bread – a hearty loaf, sourdough is great
You will need a ramekin per egg or small oven proof bowl.
- Boil a kettle of water and pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- To each ramekin add 1 tbsp cream and 1 heaped tsp of chopped chives and mix.
- Crack an egg into the cream mixture. One egg per ramekin, or two if you are using bantam (small) eggs.
- Place ramekins in a flat bottomed oven proof dish and place on one of the oven shelves.
- Pour the boiled water into the dish until it reaches half way up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the white has cooked (you may need to check with a spoon by gently lifting the white up) and the yolk has sunk slightly in the middle.
- While the eggs are baking, toast and butter the bread.
- Once eggs are cooked remove tray from the oven. Be very careful to not tip boiling water while removing the tray…it is easy to do.
- To serve, tip the baked egg over the toast and season with salt and pepper.